Maryland is located on the east coast of the United States, with its state capital located in Annapolis. Maryland has 23 counties and the independent City of Baltimore. Among the 50 states, Maryland ranks 42nd in size, covering 12,407 square miles. According to the 2000 Census, Maryland ranks 19th in population with 5,296,486 residents, and the state's population is projected to increase by 8 percent through 2010. Several counties are projected to experience growth rates of 20 percent or more over the next ten years, including Calvert, Charles, Frederick, and Howard counties.
Approximately 90 percent of Maryland 's 5.3 million residents live in the densely populated corridor between Baltimore and Washington, DC. Jurisdictions with the greatest population densities include Baltimore City and neighboring Baltimore and Anne Arundel Counties , and Montgomery and Prince George 's Counties, which border Washington, DC.
Library Associations/Consortia/Local Groups
- Maryland Library Association - The state chapter of the American Library Association for library staff and trustees, library school students, libraries, and friends of libraries representing the full spectrum of librarianship in Maryland .
- Mid-Atlantic Chapter of the Medical Library Association - An organization of health sciences librarians and other information professionals serving the District of Columbia, Maryland, North Carolina, Virginia, and West Virginia.
- Maryland Special Libraries Association
- Maryland State Library for the Blind and Physically Handicapped - Part of the national network of the Library of Congress's National Library Service for the Blind and Physically Handicapped.
- Maryland State Library Resource Center/Central Library - The Central Library of Baltimore City's public library system, the Enoch Pratt Free Library. Acting in place of the state library which exists in most states, SLRC works cooperatively with regional, local public, school, special and academic libraries in a network which allows materials and information to be shared state-wide.
To locate libraries in the NN/LM Network, please use the NN/LM Members Directory.
University of Maryland College of Information Studies (CLIS)
4105 Hornbake Building
University of Maryland
College Park, MD 20742